Sunday, February 12, 2012

Log Cabin Conversion


             I must admit that I really struggled with this challenge topic!  I started thinking about this from the day that Gerrie announced this theme, but I couldn't settle happily on an idea.  I have pages of sketches, and I spent a lot time just thinking and imagining various directions.  But it took me quite a while to settle on the metamorphosis I wanted to depict, and here it is: the evolution of an art quilter.

             Once I settled on the idea of some traditional pieced quilt blocks morphing into something nontraditional, wonky, and fused, I had fun sketching out ideas.  The log cabin block was a natural choice for the ultimate traditional block -- and of course, from there it seemed fitting to have the logs deconstructing into a wonky cabin with a loose take on the traditional red center square.  I even found in my stash some bits of really traditional fabrics that seemed suitable for the log cabin blocks, and then I pulled more modern hand-dyed and batik fabrics for the abstracted landscape.

            I also had fun starting with straight line, grid based machine quilting  (which I suppose could thematically have been hand quilting) and having it evolve into swirly, irregular quilting.



         I totally loved working with this new 12x20 shape and size!  The long vertical rectangle created so many new compositional possibilities and I really enjoyed shifting away from an even square.  I'm already looking forward to the next challenge! 

14 comments:

Jeannie said...

I love this! I always try to guess the artist when I see the quilt and I was wrong on this one! You have metamorphised you style!

Brenda said...

What a delightful progression from rigid log cabins in calico prints to a whimsical shelter surrounded by hand dyed hills. As with Deborah's Twelve theme piece, I want to skip over the hills and stop by for a cuppa (do you serve hot chocolate for non tea and coffee drinkers?!)

Terri Stegmiller said...

This is a great way to interpret the theme, one that I would never have thought of. I really like the symbols you used and also how you quilted it. It has a whimsical feel to it as well.

Karen said...

What a great interpretation Diane, it really shows your evolution into art quilting. I love the way your stitching gets less rigid, more interesting as it goes along.

Kristin L said...

It's perfect for our chosen medium! It's very fun to see those traditional blocks tumble in to something the same but completely different. And I know what you mean about the new format -- I'm really liking it too.

Lisa Flowers Ross said...

This is very fun. I like the logs falling into place.

Deborah Boschert said...

What a great concept! I love the idea of the traditional quilter metamorphosizing into the art quilter. You really incorporated so many interesting and symbolic details. I want to join Brenda and come over for a cuppa!

Unknown said...

Brilliant - I have enjoyed watching all the work you do but this is just so clever/funny - well done!!

Gerrie said...

How fun is this? What a great idea - somewhat like Terry's, but a whole different twist on morphing fabric. I am happy to see that red.

Françoise said...

This is a great idea and a fun quilt. I love how the straight stitching is changing into the curvy lines. And the little house is so cute.
I'm enjoying working with this new format too.

Renate said...

Diane, I love this piece. I have often tried to envision how one would take a traditional block and morph it into something "artsy". What a terrifice portrayal of change. It makes me smile looking at your piece and like others that have posted, makes me want to knock on the door and ask if I can visit.

Terry Grant said...

Diane, I was surprised that this was yours--not a style you have used before. It has a great sense of movement. Those logs really seem to be tumbling out of the rigid, traditional design and finding a whimsically off kilter spot to land below, creating the charming little cabin and fenceposts. On our walk this morning my friend Beth was commenting on all the new pieces and said she liked yours the best! She is a traditional quilter trying her hand at some art quilting and I think this really spoke to her.

Nikki said...

I agree with everyone. I love how the tight blocks are falling away into the whimsical little cabin and the stitching turns into party streamers.

kirsten said...

Oh this is terrfic! My quilt evolved from the bottom up, but I like that your logs are falling! And the unexpected red is a great link between the old and new.
The magic touch, design-wise, is the two horizontal logs on the lower right. That little touch of evenness is a nice reflection of the log cabin blocks in the opposite corner.