Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Inspiration Everywhere

I've finished my metamorphosis quilt, but the theme is still stirring about in my mind. In fact, at the library earlier this week, I checked out this children's picture book by Aracelis Girmay. At the time, I wasn't even thinking about our 2012 Series, but of course... it all fits together.


I love picture books with collage illustrations -- a true metamorphosis to turn various papers and images into new images. My favorite book of collage illustration is A River of Words.

This book is about a boy and girl embodying the world around them.

Honestly, the book and illustrations left me a little bit wanting... but the author's afterword was quite moving. She opened with this quote from Ovid's Metamorphoses.

As we move toward the reveal day, I've also been seeking inspiration for the next theme, which I will be choosing. These words did spark some possibilities.

3 comments:

Kristin L said...

"how bodies are changed into different bodies" immediately makes me think of puberty! and boy if that's not a theme around our house right now. :-)

Gerrie said...

I have a pubescent granddaughter - know what you are saying.

Joanne S said...

I tried, unsuccessfully to reserve both books at the CML but it seems neither was purchased in Maine for library collections. How sad.