Monday, January 23, 2012

2012 Year of the Dragon

23 January marks the start of the lunar new year and millions of people around the world are welcoming in the Year of the Dragon. Ever alert to tales of metamorphosis, I was fascinated to learn about the Japanese legend of a koi who manages to swim upstream, climbing a waterfall and is transformed into a dragon; thus overcoming adversity to fufill its own destiny.

As you can see in this image gallery, the koi dragon is a popular tattoo motif.  I wonder if a certain Twelve, who is celebrating 2012 with a tattoo soon, will choose a dragon design.  Either way,  happy Chinese New Year!
Detail from Overflowing by Deborah Boschert

1 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

So fun to see my little fish as part of a new year celebration! Thanks for posting it.

Who is getting a tattoo?! I think I know... is it accompanying a significant birthday?