Saturday, February 5, 2011

Working on the next piece

Usually I keep what I am doing for the next 12 x 12 challenge pretty much under wraps until the reveal. I'm not sure why we have done this. I think in the beginning we thought the blog would be a good place to talk about progress and what we were doing. This one seems to me that it might be somewhat interesting to talk about as I go and show my thought process.

I think I've mentioned that the color scheme doesn't do a lot for me, but, hey, that's why they call it a challenge!

I got to thinking maybe it would be interesting to redo an older piece of mine, using the new color scheme. That could be fun, right? I chose a little piece that was in the traveling show called "Fine Focus" several years ago.


So I went to work, starting with the bowl and the bird. It seemed a lot like this one, but somehow it didn't make me happy. This is beginning to be a pattern, I think! Remember the chokecherry piece? I made it first, using the techniques and way of working that I am accustomed to and it seemed tight and dead. Same with this piece. So then I made it again, using, I hoped, a freer, looser approach. Here are the two .

It is probably obvious that the one on the left was the first and the one on the right my second effort. These are just laying on that background fabric and are far from finished. This is just my start and I think that the stitching that will eventually happen will change whichever one I decide to use rather substantially. Already, though, I am feeling more life in the second one.

5 comments:

Rhonda said...

I like both of them by the one on the right had just that little something.....a zing to it....
Take care.

Gerrie said...

I love the wonkier second one.

Kristin L said...

I am really enjoying watching you work through these pieces. It's nice to see that, even with a way of working that is perfectly nice, and has brought you some success, that you are ever pushing yourself to go further.

Anonymous said...

I too like the second bird best. It's more fun.

As to why not share most of the progress, we in Uncommon Threads, who are using your 12 x 12 challenge idea, think that by sharing one's progress might intimidate another who has a similar idea or begins to think her inspiration unworthy. We keep the lid on until the reveal due date.

But don't let this slow you down. We love seeing what you are doing and you go about it.

Terri Stegmiller said...

I love the bowl on the right, but I really like the fabric and colors in the bird on the left.