Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Eggplant ala Albers


And, I couldn't make just one!! I hope you all can help me decide which one should be part of the Twelve X Twelve mosaic. The one above is the last one that I made.



The above two pieces are the same fabrics with the wine and green trading places. I love playing with colors to see what happens when they are juxtaposed in different ways. Also, the color is more wine than shows in this photo which I took with my photo lights in the studio. I am going to try to photograph them again with natural light.


I know this is not an emerald green, but I do love that limey green and couldn't help putting it into one of my pieces.


This is the first piece which is organza that is fused to make the composition. I had a problem photographing these and probably should shoot them again with different lighting. This piece is much moodier than shows here in the photo. They are all made from silk fabrics and the sheen sometimes makes it difficult to photograph. (Note: the photos have been replaced and better represent the actual colors.)

I had a difficult two months at the end of 2010 and started the new year bereft of creative ideas. But, when Nikki, posted the colors for this theme, I had a quick flash of Josef Albers' square in a square color studies. I decided to go with that. So, comment away and tell me which one should stay in the eggplant collection

12 comments:

Unknown said...

I suspects the purists will not say the limey green one but that's my pick. But then I am in a lime green phase generally in life. Its a happy no-sleeping-through-life colour.

JB said...

I vote for the last one that you made. Albers would be proud of the 2 quilts which use the same colors yet look so different color. Nice job!!

Deborah Boschert said...

I really like them all! (I think the one at the top of the post is my favorite. It has just that additional bit of interest with the second strip of purple.) It's the stitching that extends in the background that is really so interesting. Great concept and executed so well. I could see these pieces as tiny treasures at 6x6" or even large installations at 60x60."

Kristin L said...

I was loving the way lime green played with our other colors too! What I like best in these though, is the stitching which extends each color into it's neighbors and furthers the color-study theme. My favorites are the first two in the post, with the purple backgrounds and plaid-like stitching.

Diane Perin said...

Gerrie! These made me gasp with delight when they come up and I must admit that I have looked at them for a long time, trying to decide which I like best! They are all wonderful -- gorgeous colors and wonderful stitching.

I think my favorite is the top one with the purple background, but these are all striking. And I can see why you had such fun making them that you kept going!

Brenda Gael Smith said...

If I have an eggplant trilemma, you have presented us with a quinlemma or is that quilemma? Quilemma sounds like a variation of key lime pie and I love the limey version. However, for the purposes of the palette, I favour the two at the top. The stitching really enhances these pieces and all the compositions exemplify the driving force behind this series - Colourplay/Colorplay.

Karen said...

I think I have to go with the top one you overachiever you! It's interesting how so many of us made more than one of these, and I think all of these are successful.

Nikki said...

I also vote for the top one. The additional box really brings out the stitching.

I would love to see all four in one picture. From my latest efforts at photographing my quilt I learned how different the same colors can look in photographs.

Gerrie said...

Nikki - I have them all grouped in a photo on my blog.

Terri Stegmiller said...

I vote for the top one too and mainly for the same reason that Deborah mentioned, because of the additional interest with the additional strips. With that said, I do really love the limey green one too, but I feel it doesn't quite fit into the color scheme.

I love how you have quilted them with simple straight lines.

Terry Grant said...

I am really the lone ranger on my favorite! I like the third one down. It has that little vibration that happens when complementary colors that are very close in value are juxtaposed. I have seen it in antique Amish quilts and Mark Rothko paintings. It is almost a hum, if that makes any sense. Anyway, one of my favorite things. The last one has a bit of that going on too and is my second favorite, though not very true to the color challenge.

elenor said...

All are really great!
If I had to make a choice, I would vote for the first one for the same reasons as Terri Stegmiller.