Monday, November 1, 2010

Rusty Sawblade



This one snuck up on me. I had ideas. I let them simmer. I pondered fabrics. I felt good about it all. I had time.

And then I didn't! The last few days have been a marathon of stitching and beading. But, here it is, pretty much as I had envisioned it two weeks ago.

In keeping with my self-imposed theme of traditional blocks, I based this on a sawtooth border. It looks more like a star, but just know that in my mind these are concentric sawtooth borders. In my mind it's also an abstract circular saw blade that's been hanging on a pegboard in an old shed for way too long and has clumps of rust all over it.



I enjoyed playing with all the bumpy circular elements of the fabric, the french knots, the covered rings, and the beads. I do enjoy piling on the threads and the beads, so even if this is not the most cohesive composition I've ever come up with, and although I would have preferred to have worked more leisurely, I thoroughly enjoyed the process.

12 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

This is perfect Kristin! So much great texture and color in this piece. I'm very much enjoying your unique way of using the traditional blocks in your challenge pieces.

Gerrie said...

I want to reach out and touch this. I just love the "intentional" use of embellishments in this.

Terry Grant said...

Wowsers! I love the chunky, crunchy, yummy earthiness of this! Now, that is embellishment I can really get into. As always your eye is right on and your composition is an explosion of energy. I love this!

Karen said...

It's beautiful Kristin, I love the cheesecloth. All the stitching makes such great surface texture, I want to touch it

Diane Perin said...

Kristin, I see the rusty hanging sawblade instantly in this. It's got such great color and texture -- your encrustation is perfect!

I so love seeing how you use traditional quilt blocks in new and exciting ways. I share your love of them and really enjoy seeing how you'll bring one into each challenge.

kirsten said...

Terry used a great word - crunchy :)
I've seen lots of rusty old tools and this definitely has captured the essence of them all.For sheer volume of stitches per square inch, you must win!!

Lynn Cohen said...

Your stitching and beading are wondeful!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love this piece.

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

ooooh! it' tasty! ....despite its rustyness.....

Cate Rose said...

Awesome, Kristin!

Vivien Zepf said...

What an absolutely cool idea with great execution. I agree that crusty and crunchy are great words for this!

Unknown said...

I see a spiders web too in that scrim. This looks like teh inside of our new shed looks when we bought it. I too am impressed withe the embroidery - this encrusted style is something I keep being encouraged to do in my City and Guilds course but I am always of the view that I end up with a lumpy mess. What is the secret.

Kristin L said...

Helen, the secret is clusters! I find if I scatter everything evenly it's a mess, but if I cluster things together then it works much better. Oh, and blending from beads to fabric with a ton and a half of french knots or seed stitches!