Monday, March 1, 2010

Reboot




I enjoyed playing with the colors very much this challenge. Blue and white are so calm and relaxing -- the perfect reprieve in my otherwise crazy, hectic life. I really didn't have a good idea of what I wanted when I started experimenting, but instead just started playing with color. I once again started by quilting plain white fabric with various quilting patterns. I did eight 15" x 22" pieces so I would have a lot to work with. I then painted them with either dark blues, light to medium blues, or sparkly white. I also created fabric paper in light blue and white. Then I just started cutting and sewing back together with black thread and a zigzag stitch.

My first quilt was the strips cut at an angle and pieced together to form squares. I like the contrast between the shades of blue and white, but the design was too similar to "Pink Refractions," so I started again.

My next quilt was a simple basket weave pattern, but looked rather boring pinned to my wall.

My final attempt was based on the disappearing nine patch. I sewed different one inch squares of the various quilted fabrics and fabric paper into a nine patch and then cut them down the middle into one and a half inch squares. I then rotate them so none of the internal seems lined up. The end result was a wild quilt that reminds me of pixelated computer screen rebooting. (I don't know if computers do that anymore, but at least I'm not thinking as far back at the lines on the TV when the programming turned off for the night.)

After finishing "Reboot," I started playing with basket weave quilt. I added some applique fabric paper flowers and fabric flowers with a bead center. I find it much more interesting. Now I just need to finish the edge treatment. I'm really looking forward to the next challenge and exploring the colors to come.

9 comments:

Karen said...

Nikki, I like everyone of these. It seems like we both experimented with several different ideas. Your other pieces are all very successful.

Gerrie said...

I agree with Karen. Each one of these is wonderfully happy and playful. I was surprised to read that this started as plain white and the blues were painted in. How creative? I don't think I would have thought to do that.

Kristin L said...

I love the disappearing nine patch pattern -- it's so simple yet is can have a wonderful staccato rhythm like yours. I don;t think the second version is nearly as rhythmic, but you were definitely inspired to go back to the basket weave one. The flowers are such a fun addition and I love the combo of paper flowers and manufactured silk ones.

Diane Perin said...

Wow -- you DID really explore! What a fun technique. (I think you have a series going here!) The pixelated one is a great combination of hectic and calm ... sounds like family life, eh?! I like it a lot, Nikki -- like ALL of them a lot!

Dale Anne said...

GREAT JOB!
Each is so different, nice & cheery for sure!

Terry Grant said...

I think going back and adding the applique to the basketweave piece was a great inspiration. All three could serve as background for a less static design overlay. The colors are beautiful and I actually especially like the second piece as it seems to show more contrast and the combination of straight and diagonal lines gives it a lot of energy.

Terri Stegmiller said...

I like all of these and they immediately say "Nikki". I love how you are incorporating fabric paper into your work. The geometric shapes you use come to life with the combination of fabric, paper and stitch.

Françoise said...

I really like the fisrt one. The medium blue is so bright. I wonder what kind of paint you use.
Love the black zigzag on top.

Nikki said...

I used a combination of every blue I have including cheap craft paints, artist acrylics, Dyn-a-Flow, and Lumiere fabric paints. The medium tones have a bit of water added to help the paint flow well over the fabric.

I did notice in the mosaic that my blues are much brighter than everyone elses' soft tones.