Sunday, August 2, 2009

Passion and colours

Having too many ideas about this burning theme, I did some brainstorming with pen and paper. The words that kept coming again and again were those associated with hot colours. After all, if I'm a quilter, it's mostly because I like to play with colours so much.

I decided to take lots of pictures of colourful flowers in my garden, and then started to dye fabrics trying to achieve the colours I liked most in these pictures.

I also printed one of the pictures on white cotton, and I included two small pieces of the picture in my quilt.

The left side of the quilt is a piece of bright orange fabric I liked a lot and I didn't want to cut up. The right side is the logical follow-up of a few scrap quilts I made these last months.

This was really a fun theme to explore. Thanks Kirsten!

There will be more pictures on my blog in a few days.

9 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Ah, Francoise, this is really beautiful and very passionate in feeling. I think yours, Karen's and Brenda's, together would be a beautiful triptych. It's all about the color!

Gerrie said...

This is Francoise in hotter, more passionate colors. I was thinking the same as Terry. The three pieces are united by color, but the lines and texture of each are uniquely those of the maker.

I once did a weaving inspired by marigolds - it was these colors.

Deborah Boschert said...

Beautiful. I am really drawn to the strong lines and random grid. The inclusion of those two bits from your photo are perfect.

I agree about the common designs and colors. In fact, I'd like to see several groupings from our different themes.

Diane Perin said...

Ooh, Francoise! This is a bit of a surprise to me (I would not have identified it as yours) but that is a very fun aspect of our challenge, seeing each of our ranges, don't you think? Anyway, I love the way you've interpreted the theme, and especially like how the bits from flower photos show up. They're abstract but identifiable too -- gives a very nice feeling. Beautiful!

Karen said...

I love the orange piece on the side and the quilting you've done with it, and including the pictures in the quilt is a really nice touch

Kristin L said...

Great, passionate, colors. It's got the right emotional feel for the theme -- intense, a bit jumbled, fiery, but wonderful!

Terri Stegmiller said...

Fabulous color! These definitely are hot passion colors.

kirsten said...

So very beautiful! I love this quilt, Francoise! The little blue rectangle in the top right corner is the magic place for me. It sings and the whole piece joins in.

Nikki said...

love the fiery, passionate colors. The bits of printed fabric light it off. Intense and wonderful!