Sunday, July 19, 2009

Along the way

Like most, I think my first reaction to the word passion was to think of lust and love. But who's lust and love? What's passionate to one person is not to another. What one person is passionate about, another may not be. This idea needn't apply only to the amorous definition of passion -- it applies to the larger enthusiasm. It's very personal. 

With all these thoughts in my head, I considered that passion itself resides in one's head. Heads led to images of phrenology, which made me think of Victorian imagery, which is ironic because that was a period of passionate repression of passion. 



This is a sketch I started with the idea of embroidering it as if on a hanky or tea towel. I opted to go another route, but I still like this idea. I think it's instructive to see the processes and paths we take. This one may be worth returning to at some time.



1 comments:

Diane Perin said...

I love the sketch -- maybe it needs to be embroidered on a pillowcase! (You know, for the head!!)
This was a very fun idea.