Saturday, May 23, 2009

Redheads

For the first time since the Shelter theme, I have only made one piece for this challenge. This is due to lack of time rather than lack of ideas. One idea that I would have liked to explore further was redheads.

We may only account for 1-2% of the population and, according to some rumours, be heading for extinction but redheads are well-represented here at Twelve by Twelve with me, Helen, Kristin and Gerrie bearing locks in various shades of red. Since my mother (who was adopted as a baby) traced her birth parents twenty or so years ago, I know that my red hair comes from my maternal grandmother although there are a few gingers on my father's side of the family too. My mother was an avid reader of Anne of Green Gables and wished for a daughter with red hair. In fact, she got two - me and my youngest sister Delia, who was a redhead from birth. One of my brothers is a redhead too although this puzzled him as child and he used to declare that his hair was not red, but orange.

I like that my name, Brenda, means firebrand or flaming sword although this linkage was not intentional (my hair colour wasn't obvious when I was named). When I was younger, I sometimes used the moniker "La Rousse" and I've always admired Kristin's last name - La Flamme. So there is plenty of inspiration for a quilt but, unlike Terri, I have no aptitude for faces or portraits. This is as close as I get!

In Australia, the Redheads Matches company has a long tradition of decorating their matchboxes with redhead imagery. I especially like the Art Box series from the year 2000. Look under the Collector Series tab of their website.

9 comments:

Minka said...

I like what you have done!
The matchbook series are great. I especially like Captain Cook, architecture, and famous redheads.

Terri Stegmiller said...

These faceless, curly-haired images are so fun.

Terry Grant said...

My husband is a redhead with two redheaded brothers. Between them they have 4 children and 6 grandchildren, only one of whom has red hair. So sad! I was hoping for at least 1 redheaded child, since I also had a redheaded grandfather, but it was not to be.

Kristin L said...

I loved growing up as a redhead and am a bit sorry to see mine fade as I age. Happy day though when my daughter was born a redhead! I love your curly locks blowing over the ocean -- fun calling cards :-)

Gerrie said...

I loved becoming a redhead in my old age. My favorite Grandma was a fiery redhead. I always hoped for a redheaded child - now it is me! I have always been intrigued with that photo of your fly away red hair!!

Pamela said...

Red, Blue, Green - it strikes me that these colours used in your curly sketches mirror you so aptly. Blues of the sea by your home, red of course from the unique texture on top of your head, and green from your curly personality and bouncy ideas. Keep 'em flowing Brenda.

Unknown said...

I too like my hair - it gets me nice comments and saves afortune on hair dyes! However, I tend to say I am auburn rather than a red head!

Nikki said...

As long as there is hair dye, there will be red heads. I don't do it often, but if I go for a change it is always red!

Carrot Top Studio said...

The matchbox series is so much fun! Thanks for sharing and for this blog-which I read faithfully. From a redhead...