Sunday, October 19, 2008

Chaos Theory


I started this quilt for a "My World in Black and White" challenge, but of course my crazy, chaotic life took over and I didn't get past some quilting and painting. My thoughts on it go along with Helen's previous fractal post. The larger spiral is made up of smaller spirals, which in theory would then be made up of even smaller spirals. The pattern would continue infinitely. I can't quilt quite that small, so you will have to imagine it being made of smaller and smaller spirals.
I remember from my younger days fractals and chaos theory being connected, but it has been years since I have exposed myself to theoretical mathematics. I have to admit that I was quite the mathematician in my younger days. I finished college calculus junior year in high school, attended the national math convention in Huntsville, Alabama, and was accepted at MIT. It was in Alabama that we attended a lecture about chaos and fractals. Unfortunately, we had a red-eye flight from Seattle the night before and our entire group, including our math teacher, fell asleep during the lecture. Maybe that has something to do with why I don't remember too my details beyond pictures of cauliflower. After high school I turned my back on math and became an art school drop out. Now I have a chance to recover that lost side of my intellect and merge the two.

1 comments:

Kristin L said...

When I think Chaos Theory, I immediately think Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park.

;-)