Friday, August 1, 2008

Radiance

Despite selecting the theme and having a multitude of ideas, illumination remained elusive. Once again, I was attracted to exploring a theme in shibori and I ended up with some dramatic results as shown on my blog. I selected this piece because the motif serendipitously fitted in a 12x12 square and because of its zen feel. I need to work on my handstitching skills but am satisfied with the outcome.

Radiance by Brenda Gael Smith
A lantern in the darkness radiates the promise of life and sanctuary. From St Paul to the Beach Boys, the invocation to shine has been a powerful message throughout the ages. In the 21st century, to be the best person you can be and to let it show, seems just as relevant.

12 comments:

Diane Perin said...

I'm so impressed at your Shibori talents, Brenda. This has your signature combination of elegance, simplicity, lovely balance and effective, graphic lines. Someeday on a future Twleveby12 retreat, will you teach us all shibori?!

Gerrie said...

Great piece of shibori. I love the symmetry of this even though I don't usually go for symmetry!! :)

Kristin L said...

I wouldn't have gotten lantern specifically had you not said it, but I definitely get a zen serenity and lovely glow from it. I also see no fault with your hand quilting -- it is the right solution for this.

Deborah Boschert said...

I clicked on the picture and I got a wonderful close up that showed all the lovely hand embroidery with the varigated yellow floss. I love that additional "spark." It's beautifully finished too. Nice edges.

Terry Grant said...

Really beautiful and contemplative. The symmetry that is not symmetry is perfectly Zen. The sublety of the color and the pebbly texture are so inviting.

Françoise said...

Shibori again! I like it.
Well done.

Terri Stegmiller said...

A very visually appealing design. I agree with the others, your shibori skills are wonderful. I love the addition of the hand stitches and the texture they give. I didn't even see those stitches until I went in for the close up.

Dale Anne Potter said...

GREAT JOB!
LOVE the stitching!

artfilstitch said...

The shibori is wonderful! You did an outstanding job with your stitches.

kirsten said...

Those magical little yellow stitches! They really make this something special, Brenda. It has all the best qualities of a "simple" design. It's gentle, quiet, beautiful and rewards contemplation by revealing a little more of itself with each closer look.

Nikki said...

I agree with Diane that you need to teach us shibori on a Twelve by Twelve retreat. And thank you to everyone for leading me to the larger view. All the tiny, yellow stitches are wonderful.

Karen said...

Brenda, when you said shine in your comments, that is exactly what I see here. You've managed to take gold and indigo, and make it illuminated