Monday, February 25, 2008

Faith Ringgold

Yesterday, Terry and I went to hear Faith Ringgold speak and she showed lots of slides of her work. I was struck with how many of them were about community!! She does painted story quilts. She had many that were of faces, one was a dinner table and the Sunflower Quilting Bee at Arles was fabulous.


Seeing her work and hearing her talk about her art has my creative juices flowing!! A family dinner table was an idea that I had thought about. Or perhaps a virtual quilting bee with all of you!

4 comments:

Kristin L said...

Woo hoo! Yea for inspiration. I like your ideas for intimate communities, as they are just as important as the larger, more universal communities we've been discussing.

Anonymous said...

I've also been thinking about how food can bring communities together and add to their identity. A dining table is a wonderful metaphor.

Terry Grant said...

Faith Ringgold was so inspiring. She showed one piece that was small faces, so similar to the little faces I have been playing with that I was stunned! Now I am worried that I will not be able make mine without her piece in my mind. You have to look carefully at the quilting bee in Arles to see van gogh standing in the back ground holding a bouquet of sunflowers. Very funny. He looks a little intimidated by those strong women.

Anonymous said...

Can't begin to tell you how jealous I am that you have heard Faith Ringgold! She is one of my Quilting Heroines :)