Friday, January 4, 2008

Having a Chocolate Day?

I never thought Chocolate would be so hard. I'm exposed to it almost every day, especially from Halloween through Christmas. We have the standard Hershey's Chocolate for the kids, Lindt Truffles for me, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Oblivion Torte for Christmas dessert. The list goes on and on. Then why am I so stuck? I think it comes down to the fact that Chocolate is a feeling, a sensual experience instead of a visual experience. My desire is to capture that momment of bliss when, in the midst of all the craziness of life, one takes a bite of a really good Chocolate Truffle. The sweet ooze melting in one's mouth and for a second washing all the stress away.

If you couldn't tell already, life can be a little chaotic homeschooling four kids 8 and under, especially around the holidays. I often had what I call "Bring Home Chocolate" days when I call my husband with an urgent request. I then discovered Costco (a large warehouse type store) carries Lindt truffles in a 50 truffle bag. These I hide on top of the bookshelves in my bedroom. I can judge the day by the number of truffles consumed. A one truffle day is pretty good, two a little more stressful, and you don't even want to ask about the days when I don't even remember the number.

So now the task is to capture all this in a quilt. 2008 is going to be time of stretching in my art and Chocolate the first task at hand. Now it's time to get to work.

0 comments: