Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Terry's Dandelion

Weeds are Flowers Too . . .

Once I discarded my all too complicated dandelion design, I knew that I wanted to focus in very closely on just one blossom. My original designs came in handy to blow up and find just the parts I wanted to show. As I was working on the dandelion I was working concurrently on another project, which included a photo of a field of flowers. Close inspection of the photo showed that there was a bee that had landed on one of the flowers and I knew then that my dandelion would have to host that same bee. And just as we all began to see dandelions everywhere once our theme was set, I began to see bees everywhere, including the disturbing story, on 60 Minutes this week about how the bees are disappearing.

For this piece I used my usual methods, using commercial prints, which I paint and manipulate. The design is fused and machine quilted.

P.S. Helen asked about posting a tutorial of my techniques. There is one on my blog here.

12 comments:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Terry, your piece is so life-like and your signature technique really shines here. Love that background fabric.

Françoise said...

Oh, this bee looks almost real! How did you do this?
It's wonderful. Great little piece of work.

Nikki said...

Great dandelion!! My dandelion photos also included bees.

Anonymous said...

The bee is a wonderful addition to the flower theme. We certainly couldn't have one without the other. I have always loved your "usual style" and this one certainly doesn't disapoint. My favorte part though -- the background fabric -- that's my all-time fave!

Karen said...

I agree with Kristen, I love the background fabric. It's a beautiful piece of work

Diane Perin said...

Terry! Oh, this has all of the things in your work that I just love. As always, great use of commercial fabrics, and great depth, and wonderful composition and focal interest, and such charm. The shadowing adds such depth, too. This is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Love it, of course. I wondered what the extra addition would "bee". Bring it on Thursday so that I can see it up close. I am still working on mine. the hand stitching is done. I will post it later today when I have added the back and a few more stitches.

Unknown said...

The definition of the images and the three-D like effect is amazing. You say 'your usual techniques' - any chance of a mini-tutorial in a post on what those are?

mzjohansen said...

Wow ! What great idea !Wish I had been around to join in when you were starting !
Wonderful work !

kirsten said...

Oh, oh, oh! Terry!! Just today I was explaining to my husband that any time a quilter attends a class or takes part in a group, it is inevitable that someone ELSE in the group will make the quilt that that quilter wishes THEY had made. Yours is the one I wish I had made. How lovely is that quilt?! And you have made me see dandelion yellow through loving eyes!

Anonymous said...

Terry, you have captured the shape of dandelion petals beautifully and the shadowing of the leaves against that stunning background fabric is just masterful.

Anonymous said...

OMG! that is seriously fabulous. I've seen the brown retro fabric heaps of times but have never imagined it used like this and it's just amazing, as is all of your choices, the shading adds depth that's pretty spectacular too. Really wonderful!