Monday, September 10, 2007

A Dandelion Quilt

Ever since Diane gave us the theme, I have had this memory of a dandelion quilt that I have seen. I finally realized that is was by Carol Bryer Fallert. She scanned dandelions and printed them on fabric. You can see the quilt here. She named it Splendor in the Grass.

Today, the members of High Fiber Diet delivered their work to the Japanese Garden for our show and sale. One of the members, who does incredible Katazome stencils, had a beautiful scarf with fluffy dandelions screen printed and discharged. I was in awe. It was a thermofax screen. This is what I have been planning to do - make a screen of a fluffy dandelion. She said that she hand drew the dandelion because the photo just didn't give the detail that she wanted. She offered to send me a scan of the drawing. Oh, I was tempted, but I said, No thanks, I want to come up with my own design.

It is really fun to see how dandelions are suddenly in my radar!!

1 comments:

Diane Perin said...

Ooh, that's a lovely quilt. I'd not seen that before. I'm not typically drawn to quilts that use photographic images so directly, but I like that one. Maybe it's that the stitching softens it a lot... and also the composition and use of all those component parts makes the overall composition the central image, not any one photograph. Thanks for posting that!